Any one can explain about the mono column structures...?

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
This type of structure also called as lotus building.

Where all load transferred to single column and footing.

L&T head quarter at Manipakkam, Chennai has same type of structure build very long back in time.

It look beautiful.
l-t-construction-ltd-manapakkam-chennai-6bsvt.jpg

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
I am not a structural designer and never did designing of structure so cant explain you.

It works like having a base column on which all columns are float(How we add floating column in structure when we miss it or its need of design aspect and make sure load distribution through that heavy beams to below columns).

You need to wait for Expert to comment on it.

Reactions: Mr.Kumar

Narendra

Staff member
Fantastic Rajjogisi and Dnyan sir,
Now as you started this wonderful discussion. One historical monument from Chittorgarh Fort,Rajasthan comes in my mind which i have visited once.
I would like to bring this to your notice that this kind of MONO COLUMN STRUCTURE OR STRUCTURAL TECHNIQUE , I have observed there.
VIJAYA STAMBHA IN Chittorgarh Fort , Rajasthan which was built in 1448.
What i observed that, Vijaya Stambha was standing on a single column and the staircase (steps) are coming out form that column or surrounding to the column.(May be to support or balance the moment).Most interesting thing is that , the entire structure was built by Stone and having various cultural or religious sign on that.And still standing in position.

Few About VIJAYA STAMBHA :- Vijaya Stambha is an imposing victory monument located within Chittorgarh fort in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan, India. The tower was constructed by the Mewar king, Rana Kumbha, in 1448 to commemorate his victory over the combined armies of Malwa and Gujarat led by Mahmud Khilji. The tower is dedicated to Vishnu. (More About Vijaya Stambha )

20160623_122315.jpg

sonukhode

Apprentice
This structure supported on a mono column provides large serviceable floor space compared to structure supported on many columns. They save ground space as requires less area for providing foundation and provides more space for parking. Maximum space utilization is considered will serve its maximum serviceability. In this research describes planning, structural analysis, design and drawings with various components and approximate cost of the whole building. This building consists of mono column i.e. Single column structural system (each floor in whole structure is supported independently by mono column at the centre). Design of all structural members conforms to IS: 456-2000, IS: 800-2007 & IS: 11384-1985.

Primary aim of all structural design is to ensure that the structure will perform satisfactorily during its design life. Specifically, the designer must check that the structure is capable of carrying the loads safely and that it will not deform excessively due to the applied loads. This requires the designer to make realistic estimates of the strengths of the materials composing the structure and the loading to which it may be subject during its design life.

1568973290482.png