Construction Engineer's Toolbox - Marking Layout Points

Whether you are working on-site as a construction surveyor or as a layout technician, at some point, you will be asked to mark out locations of elements to be installed: Do you have the right materials to get the job done...?

We know that we often-times find ourselves in lots of different locations on a jobsite where the surfaces available for you to leave layout marks on can vary greatly: In the morning, you could be laying out drainage structures in an existing asphalt parking lot, while later in the day, you could be on the second floor of a building marking wall partition locations - Can you handle both tasks using more than a Sharpie....? Will the marks that you setout last more than an hour? Can they survive weather? Do you want them to be permanent marks? Do you have a means of writing down the information you want to convey to the Contractor? Or are you just marking something temporarily that can be obliterated later without duress?

It bears repeating: As a construction engineer, you can never be TOO prepared. Check out your toolbox tomorrow morning and see to it that you have what you need. All of the items that I've shown you from my kit are pretty inexpensive, but I use almost all of them at some point during the life of a construction project. Make a list of what you need, head to your local hardware store and get what you need to be efficient & effective - Cheers!!!

1551579920173.png