cost of blocks, estimator's tip.

Hello all. Have been getting quotes in for next week and it occurred to me, therefore in BH spirit I pass it on...

For as long as I can remember, the cost of masonry blocks has been very similar to the cost of ready mix, in £/m3.

This makes sense as the ingredients are much the same.
The readymix is handled once, at the factory.
The blocks are handled at the factory and again by the merchant but are risk-free.

So if you know the price of concrete, just use the rule of thumb, or vice-versa.

Currently £115 for C20 concrete here.
98p for 100mm blocks. £1.20 for 140mm

That makes blocks at 10/m2 look slightly cheaper, but add the 5% area of mortar and it is close.

Another reason this matters is, if you are replacing timber shutters with permanent blockwork, the blocks are effectively free as they replace readymix

Hello all. Have been getting quotes in for next week and it occurred to me, therefore in BH spirit I pass it on...

For as long as I can remember, the cost of masonry blocks has been very similar to the cost of ready mix, in £/m3.

This makes sense as the ingredients are much the same.
The readymix is handled once, at the factory.
The blocks are handled at the factory and again by the merchant but are risk-free.

So if you know the price of concrete, just use the rule of thumb, or vice-versa.

Currently £115 for C20 concrete here.
98p for 100mm blocks. £1.20 for 140mm

That makes blocks at 10/m2 look slightly cheaper masonry estimator, but add the 5% area of mortar and it is close.

Another reason this matters is, if you are replacing timber shutters with permanent blockwork, the blocks are effectively free as they replace readymix
thanks in advance for any help