Good morning all . Doubt of quantity surveyor

Venkatshanthi

Am doing quantity survey in my site but I have some doubt please any one explain. How much % of wastage added in tiles quantity ,rod quantity and other materials please explain thanking you all

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
There are basically 2 types of wastage which are considered while calculating the wastage factor for any material.

1. Design Wastage: the wastage of material which can occur due to design of it. in Tiles if the room dimension and tile size is not optimized, there will be more wastage on design part. so designing for optimizing usage is also important, else your wastage might go beyond specified limit.
In case of steel, if the floor to floor height and cutting length do not have combination to utilize complete bar of steel of 12 meter, there will be wastage from it, so here also design does matter.

2. Another is handling or material breaking or all other kind that can lead to wastage, here there is no control and almost its a assumed value.

So you need to also check for feasibility of planned drawings with actual usage of material and the wastage that might occur due to design itself.

As i am not a quantity surveyor, i cant tell you much in details, but if calculations are not done correctly the wastage might go very high beyond the assumed limits and everything will fall in unaccountable wastage unless the accountability is calculated.

In case of the tiles, we should also need to add 5% extra quantity, in case we wish to make a good project. because there will be shade variation and other variations in color texture of tile from batch to batch, if we order extra quantity, it can be used when there is breakage of installed tile. if that quantity is not got used, you can handover the same to customer by keeping a packed tiles 5% of that flat in kitchen. if the owner is intended to do some modification and finds they got some breakages in installed tiles. if they find they had extra tiles for replacing it and are of same shade and there is no variation after installation, they will get delighted.

Reactions: Venkatshanthi

Venkatshanthi

There are basically 2 types of wastage which are considered while calculating the wastage factor for any material.

1. Design Wastage: the wastage of material which can occur due to design of it. in Tiles if the room dimension and tile size is not optimized, there will be more wastage on design part. so designing for optimizing usage is also important, else your wastage might go beyond specified limit.
In case of steel, if the floor to floor height and cutting length do not have combination to utilize complete bar of steel of 12 meter, there will be wastage from it, so here also design does matter.

2. Another is handling or material breaking or all other kind that can lead to wastage, here there is no control and almost its a assumed value.

So you need to also check for feasibility of planned drawings with actual usage of material and the wastage that might occur due to design itself.

As i am not a quantity surveyor, i cant tell you much in details, but if calculations are not done correctly the wastage might go very high beyond the assumed limits and everything will fall in unaccountable wastage unless the accountability is calculated.

In case of the tiles, we should also need to add 5% extra quantity, in case we wish to make a good project. because there will be shade variation and other variations in color texture of tile from batch to batch, if we order extra quantity, it can be used when there is breakage of installed tile. if that quantity is not got used, you can handover the same to customer by keeping a packed tiles 5% of that flat in kitchen. if the owner is intended to do some modification and finds they got some breakages in installed tiles. if they find they had extra tiles for replacing it and are of same shade and there is no variation after installation, they will get delighted.
Thank you sir