How to write a Project Status Report

In order to write a report of project status, you must understand:
  • The three components of status.
  • How to write brief details.
  • What key data is needed by management.
Three Components of Project Status Report
There are three major components to reporting project status:

Overall :
We need to see the overall project health. As managers, we want to be able to detect a project in trouble. We also want to help make that determination sometimes. You might not know everything we know despite our best efforts to communicate. Your project might not be as healthy as you think it is.

Milestones :
Your project has major accomplishments which must be completed by specific dates. We managers want to see which milestones are complete, which ones are in progress, and which ones are coming up next. This allows us to analyse the schedule and decide to either feel comfortable with it or challenge it.

Issues :
Your project also probably has one or more obstacles to completion which have been discovered. We’d like to see brief details about each issue so that we can make a decision about whether or not to step in and help if necessary.

Organizing your Project Status Report
Just as you would clean a kitchen by starting up high and working your way down ultimately to the floor, project status is best when it starts off with the highest levels of detail and works it way down to lower and lower levels.

Thus:
Overall project health comes first. If I like what I see here, I can stop reading the rest. Major milestones follow overall project health. If I don’t like the project health, or if I am in need of further details, I can read a little further and check out the scheduled dates we are driving toward and your progress on them. Issues may be holding up those dates, so when I see a problem in your project schedule, I can read further and see what it is. Really slick project managers report the is issues in priority order showing the issue causing the most jeopardy to progress first.

Brief Details
Your job is to report on the details of your project in concise, crisp status that we can consume rapidly without having to spend much effort on it. It might take you thirty minutes to write your status, but always remember that your manager does not have thirty minutes to spend reading it. Your manager realistically only has about 30 seconds to consume your status as they may have 30, 40, 100, or even exponentially more projects for which they are responsible.

“Brief Details” may seem oxymoron to a project manager, but to a supervisor with a team of project managers, it is not. There is enormous value in a project manager who can report status without narrative. My recommendation is that you write as though you were creating an old-fashioned telegram. More information about how to do that is coming.

Brief Details in Project Status Report?
How can you provide details without being long-winded? It is a formidable task that most never master, but it is not impossible. Here are some suggestions:
  • Write in bullets, not in prose. There shall be no paragraph anywhere in your status.
  • Avoid unnecessary use of titles and colons. We can see that 7/4/2019 is a date. Writing “date: 7/4/2019” does not tell us anything that “7/4/2019” does not.
  • Reduce, reduce, and reduce some more. Do your best to shorten all expressions and sentences.
  • Avoid adverbs (really, very, much) and avoid adjectives (good, bad, ugly).
Key Data in Project Status Report
Management will need certain data from you in order to see overall health, performance against milestones, and the threat that project issues present. For overall project health, these data points might include:
  • The project’s name
  • The project identification number if your company uses a tool to store projects.
  • The overall project health (red yellow green – more on this in a future article).
  • The % complete you expected to be at today (planned completion).
  • The % complete you are actually at.
  • The number of days behind or ahead against the plan.
  • The number of blocking issues you face (more about this later in this article).
  • The number of “normal issues” you face.

Please share

Overall :
We need to see the overall project health. As managers, we want to be able to detect a project in trouble. We also want to help make that determination sometimes. You might not know everything we know despite our best efforts to communicate. Your project might not be as healthy as you think it is.

Milestones :
Your project has major accomplishments which must be completed by specific dates. We managers want to see which milestones are complete, which ones are in progress, and which ones are coming up next. This allows us to analyse the schedule and decide to either feel comfortable with it or challenge it.

Issues :
Your project also probably has one or more obstacles to completion which have been discovered. We’d like to see brief details about each issue so that we can make a decision about whether or not to step in and help if necessary.

Just as you would clean a kitchen by starting up high and working your way down ultimately to the floor, project status is best when it starts off with the highest levels of detail and works it way down to lower and lower levels.

Thus:
Overall project health comes first. If I like what I see here, I can stop reading the rest. Major milestones follow overall project health. If I don’t like the project health, or if I am in need of further details, I can read a little further and check out the scheduled dates we are driving toward and your progress on them. Issues may be holding up those dates, so when I see a problem in your project schedule, I can read further and see what it is. Really slick project managers report the is issues in priority order showing the issue causing the most jeopardy to progress first.

Brief Details
Your job is to report on the details of your project in concise, crisp status that we can consume rapidly without having to spend much effort on it. It might take you thirty minutes to write your status, but always remember that your manager does not have thirty minutes to spend reading it. Your manager realistically only has about 30 seconds to consume your status as they may have 30, 40, 100, or even exponentially more projects for which they are responsible.

“Brief Details” may seem oxymoron to a project manager, but to a supervisor with a team of project managers, it is not. There is enormous value in a project manager who can report status without narrative. My recommendation is that you write as though you were creating an old-fashioned telegram. More information about how to do that is coming.

How can you provide details without being long-winded? It is a formidable task that most never master, but it is not impossible. Here are some suggestions:
  • Write in bullets, not in prose. There shall be no paragraph anywhere in your status.
  • Avoid unnecessary use of titles and colons. We can see that 7/4/2019 is a date. Writing “date: 7/4/2019” does not tell us anything that “7/4/2019” does not.
  • Reduce, reduce, and reduce some more. Do your best to shorten all expressions and sentences.
Management will need certain data from you in order to see overall health, performance against milestones, and the threat that project issues present. For overall project health, these data points might include:
  • The project’s name
  • The project identification number if your company uses a tool to store projects.
  • The overall project health (red yellow green – more on this in a future article).
  • The number of blocking issues you face (more about this later in this article).
please share thev

Overall :

Milestones :

Issues :

Thus:

Brief Details

• The project’s name
please share me the missing details in the report that you will post, I urgently need it as I'm compiling a report now.
sajidmkd22@gmail.com

MAR

Founder Member

Overall :

Milestones :

Issues :

Thus:

Brief Details

• The project’s name
The information provided is very good and is par with the international standards.

It would be more helpful if you can share any reference report format

Thank you for sharing, that is a very insightful post. Sir we at BOCS are working on monitor construction project on hassle-free way on your mobile and generating project status reports automatically. So would you like to take a demo of our dashboard at BOCS Demo
for any further query, you can also reach me at sonveer@bocs.work or call me at +91-8687749723
Regards