Measures taken during construction?

Rohith Rao

Due to different coefficient of thermal expansion for concrete and block masonry, cracks my develop in the plaster at these junctions.
GI expanded metal mesh rolls in rhombus shape of desired width is fixed to increase the tensile strength of plaster to reduce cracks.

IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_9239.JPG

IMG_9240.JPG

Attachments

• Key Conderns in Joints _ Cracks in Strucutures.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
heyrupesh It sounds like you are asking about crack monitors. Here's a link that might help you.

I always keep a crack comparator clipped into my field book, and I always have a couple of mountable crack monitors in my truck's toolbox. Add them to your toolkit, these are necessary items for any construction engineer to have.

--Cheers

How do we prevent cracks in beam/column and brick joints?
Measures taken during construction?

View attachment 3428
As I've done in my previous project, a 15 to 20 mm Groove shall be cut in RCC Member at junction of RCC and Brick work and use a GI flat/ MS Flat (Requirement as per structure) in L Shape and encase in brick work with RCC Member @ every 500 mm. Also RCC Surface shall be chipped (Only surface) to make a proper joint between brick work and RCC Member.

Sathish vip

Apprentice
Chicken mesh to be tied in the place of junction having atleast 3" towards concrete region and brickwork region.
Chicken mesh are laid with the help of nails.
The chicken mesh protects the plaster surface from cracks by withstanding the thermal expansion of RCC & bricks/Blocks.