Over 80% Indian engineers are unemployable, lack new-age technology skills: Report

Sumit Civil

Today i saw this report on India Today Website:

A recent employ-ability report has found that over 80 percent of engineers in India are unemployable as they lack the technological skills required by employers now.

There are several factors apart from lacking new age technological skills that make over 80 percent engineers in India unemployable.

Every year, thousands of engineering graduates pass out of college, but only a tiny handful of them are trained in the skills that employers need now. Over 80 percent of them are unemployable for any job in the knowledge economy, said a report by employability assessment company Aspiring Minds.

The employability report is based on a research conducted on engineering students from India, the US and China.

"We find that a low proportion of engineers take up projects beyond curriculum and do internships. Further, there is a lack of faculty talking about industry application of concepts in class or students getting exposure through industry talks," said Aspiring Minds Chief Technology Officer and co-founder Varun Aggarwal, according to PTI.

"These need to be remedied by aligning incentives of all stakeholder, building capacity and gamification," he added

Main highlights about engineering from the employability report
1. The report stated that only 3.84 percent of engineers in the country have the technical, cognitive and linguistic skills required for software-related jobs in start-ups.

2. Only 3 percent of engineers have new-age technological skills in the areas which are booming now such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science and mobile development.

3. Thus, only 1.7 percent of engineers have the skills needed to work in new age jobs.

4. The report provides the primary reasons for low employability of India’s engineers -- only 40 percent engineering graduates do an internship, while a mere 7 percent students do multiple internships.

5. Apart from a lack of internships, engineers also have low employability because only 36 percent do projects beyond their curriculum. Thus, they don’t always build the skills to solve problems in a variety of situations.

6. Another problem adding to low employability of engineers is that the subject is taught in a very theoretical manner in colleges -- 60 percent faculty doesn't talk about application of concepts in the industry and only 47 percent of the engineers attend any industry talk.

US, China have 3-4 times more engineers than India who know how to code
The Aspiring Minds employability report also found that the number of engineers in the US who know how to code is almost four times than Indian engineers.

When compared with engineers in China, Indian engineers show better potential in writing correct code.

However, the proportion of engineers who cannot write compliable code in India is almost three times the Chinese engineers who cannot do so, according to the report.

Thus, there are several factors making Indian engineers so starkly unemployable across industries.

Source Article URL Over 80% Indian engineers are unemployable, lack new-age technology skills: Report

After Reading this, i got thaught, what about Civil Engineering. Is it on right track or something like this is happening.

Do post comment your thought.

• Sad
Reactions: VIDHYA SAGAR
Today i saw this report on India Today Website:

A recent employ-ability report has found that over 80 percent of engineers in India are unemployable as they lack the technological skills required by employers now.

View attachment 2880
There are several factors apart from lacking new age technological skills that make over 80 percent engineers in India unemployable.

Every year, thousands of engineering graduates pass out of college, but only a tiny handful of them are trained in the skills that employers need now. Over 80 percent of them are unemployable for any job in the knowledge economy, said a report by employability assessment company Aspiring Minds.

"We find that a low proportion of engineers take up projects beyond curriculum and do internships. Further, there is a lack of faculty talking about industry application of concepts in class or students getting exposure through industry talks," said Aspiring Minds Chief Technology Officer and co-founder Varun Aggarwal, according to PTI.

"These need to be remedied by aligning incentives of all stakeholder, building capacity and gamification," he added

Main highlights about engineering from the employability report
1. The report stated that only 3.84 percent of engineers in the country have the technical, cognitive and linguistic skills required for software-related jobs in start-ups.

2. Only 3 percent of engineers have new-age technological skills in the areas which are booming now such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science and mobile development.

3. Thus, only 1.7 percent of engineers have the skills needed to work in new age jobs.

4. The report provides the primary reasons for low employability of India’s engineers -- only 40 percent engineering graduates do an internship, while a mere 7 percent students do multiple internships.

5. Apart from a lack of internships, engineers also have low employability because only 36 percent do projects beyond their curriculum. Thus, they don’t always build the skills to solve problems in a variety of situations.

6. Another problem adding to low employability of engineers is that the subject is taught in a very theoretical manner in colleges -- 60 percent faculty doesn't talk about application of concepts in the industry and only 47 percent of the engineers attend any industry talk.

US, China have 3-4 times more engineers than India who know how to code
The Aspiring Minds employability report also found that the number of engineers in the US who know how to code is almost four times than Indian engineers.

When compared with engineers in China, Indian engineers show better potential in writing correct code.

Thus, there are several factors making Indian engineers so starkly unemployable across industries.

Source Article URL Over 80% Indian engineers are unemployable, lack new-age technology skills: Report

After Reading this, i got thaught, what about Civil Engineering. Is it on right track or something like this is happening.

Do post comment your thought.

Sumit Civil , you asked a question that I was also going to post here at Civil4m!!!

Somehow I stumbled onto a TEDTalk video featuring Mr. Agarwal that speaks of the article - I must say, I was completely shocked at the statistics! I'd like to ask the membership here at Civil4m if the statistics are for real - Are they? Is it true that the employability rates for engineers are really that low? Is this the case for ALL sectors of engineering, particularly civil engineers?

I'll hold my other questions on this topic for now. I sure would like to think that, as a member of the civil engineering industry, that the statistics cited are wrong and that employability rates for civil engineers are better than this, but I realize that the lens by which I am looking at this issue might be different given where I live & work. I am really curious to hear what the membership thinks.

Reactions: Sumit Civil

archdevil

Royal Member
Sumit Civil , you asked a question that I was also going to post here at Civil4m!!!

Somehow I stumbled onto a TEDTalk video featuring Mr. Agarwal that speaks of the article - I must say, I was completely shocked at the statistics! I'd like to ask the membership here at Civil4m if the statistics are for real - Are they? Is it true that the employability rates for engineers are really that low? Is this the case for ALL sectors of engineering, particularly civil engineers?

I'll hold my other questions on this topic for now. I sure would like to think that, as a member of the civil engineering industry, that the statistics cited are wrong and that employability rates for civil engineers are better than this, but I realize that the lens by which I am looking at this issue might be different given where I live & work. I am really curious to hear what the membership thinks.
The reality is 90% true as mentioned in the article
Main reason being the standard of education being a visiting faculty of various colleges the subject taught to the students are mainly scoring Mark's. no skill developments are taught.no internship while studying. except IT & Electronics the remaining engineering students are facing the same issue. you won't believe that more than 70% engineering colleges shut down /closed the civil, mechanical, chemical, textile and other subjects. it is a hard truth but it is real

Reactions: HockeyPuck

rameshchandrapatel

All these surveys are fake and demean Indians. Why do Indians ourperform citizens of other countries in USA, Canada, UAE etc.

You will find only Indians upto executive level posts in GULF companies.

The real thing is that the Orthodox and fickel minded interviewer wants a 25 year type experience from a fresher or a candidate with less than 5 year experience.

In private construction companies of India, recruitment are done through references and not merit.