Presentation on Quantity Surveying and Estimation

Quantity surveying and the estimated quantities of materials required on a project are normally determined by professional surveyor or engineer.
In this attached presentation we cover the following:-
  • What if estimate exceeds the forecast of expected expenses?
  • From where to take quantities?and how? Refer the following.
  • Data Required for the Preparation of an Estimate or Quantity Survey
  • Method of quantity calculations.
  • Metric System and Units
  • Units for Civil Engineering Works
  • Method of Estimating
  • Major items in the civil work and as well as how to calculate.
  • How the deductions should be made
  • Rates and where it can be obtained
  • Degree of Accuracy in Estimating
  • Principle of Units for Various Items of Work
for further details kindly refer the attached presentation.

Attachments

• Presentation Quantity Survey Estimation.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 731
Excellent presentation! I'd suggest any young engineer who hasn't had the opportunity or the job demand of having to prepare a quantity take-off estimate download the pdf and keep it as a reference when you are called-upon.

A couple of thoughts worth mentioning:
--Hidden Items - A couple of slides mention looking for "hidden" items: This is SO important! As an estimator, you need to be completely familiar with ALL of the elements being constructed. It's a mindset: Put yourself in the mind of the on-site project manager or superintendent running the crews: What Labor, Equipment & Materials to I need to build ______ (fill in the blank). Each of these will bear a cost, and that cost needs to be reflected in your estimate.
--Book Values - Be VERY CAREFUL about using "Book Values" for the cost of a unit of work. Go back to my article on The Cost of Construction Labor You MUST know what the value of work is based upon.

Let's say, for example, you estimate there are 155 M of 300mm storm sewer in a parking lot you are doing the take-off for, and you "plug" a cost for that unit of work, do you REALLY know what that unit cost is based upon? Does include just the pipe and laying it in the trench? Does it include the excavation? Backfill & coompaction? Disposal of the excavated trench material? If not, how are all of those units of work quantified and paid for? Simply plugging a cost into a spreadsheet without full understanding of its ingredients can have disastrous results....

--Talk to Contractors - I can't stress this enough: Become associated with the contractors in your area who build jobs. The unit costs for work can vary greatly depending on where you are and the type of work your are designing & estimating. Having contractors in your network who you can call and bounce ideas off of is a must for your "Virtual Toolbox." Your estimated values are only estimates: Contractors have to absorb the risk associated with building so their unit prices are much-more reliable than what you might think the value of the work is.

Great presentation Srinivasan Cheers!!!

Reactions: archdevil
Excellent presentation! I'd suggest any young engineer who hasn't had the opportunity or the job demand of having to prepare a quantity take-off estimate download the pdf and keep it as a reference when you are called-upon.

A couple of thoughts worth mentioning:
--Hidden Items - A couple of slides mention looking for "hidden" items: This is SO important! As an estimator, you need to be completely familiar with ALL of the elements being constructed. It's a mindset: Put yourself in the mind of the on-site project manager or superintendent running the crews: What Labor, Equipment & Materials to I need to build ______ (fill in the blank). Each of these will bear a cost, and that cost needs to be reflected in your estimate.
--Book Values - Be VERY CAREFUL about using "Book Values" for the cost of a unit of work. Go back to my article on The Cost of Construction Labor You MUST know what the value of work is based upon.

Let's say, for example, you estimate there are 155 M of 300mm storm sewer in a parking lot you are doing the take-off for, and you "plug" a cost for that unit of work, do you REALLY know what that unit cost is based upon? Does include just the pipe and laying it in the trench? Does it include the excavation? Backfill & coompaction? Disposal of the excavated trench material? If not, how are all of those units of work quantified and paid for? Simply plugging a cost into a spreadsheet without full understanding of its ingredients can have disastrous results....

--Talk to Contractors - I can't stress this enough: Become associated with the contractors in your area who build jobs. The unit costs for work can vary greatly depending on where you are and the type of work your are designing & estimating. Having contractors in your network who you can call and bounce ideas off of is a must for your "Virtual Toolbox." Your estimated values are only estimates: Contractors have to absorb the risk associated with building so their unit prices are much-more reliable than what you might think the value of the work is.

Great presentation Srinivasan Cheers!!!
Thanks for your nice words.i look in to this in detail and do the need.once again thanks for your nice words

Reactions: HockeyPuck