This is Thomas Sbahtu a new member I found this site while I was preparing for my civil engineering position interview

Thomas - Best of luck on your interview!!

For some perspective, over the years of my career, I've interviewed, dozens of candidates for positions with companies that I've worked for. I've had to interview for positions too. The interviewing process is something we all go through now and again, so you are certainly not experiencing anything that most of us have not already done before. I will give you 4 pieces of advice that, I believe, are extremely worthwhile:

1. Be Yourself.
This is the best piece of advice I can give when it comes to interviews. Don't pretend to be someone you are not. Let your personality shine through your discussion with the interviewers. An interview is one of the rare environments when you can talk, and even brag a little, about yourself.

2. Be Honest.
It is easy for any of us, as human beings, to be able to tell when someone is not being forthright with their information. Don't feel like you have to answer every question with a perfect answer, or with the answer that "you think" the interviewer would like to hear. Be up-front with your experience and your knowledge-base. If you really know a subject well, talk about it. And if a subject matter comes up that you are not knowledgeable in, don't pretend, just be honest and show a willingness to what to learn more about the subject.

3. Be Enthusiastic.
I can tell you this from my perspective as someone who has interviewed and hired engineers: I ALWAYS like enthusiasm! People who are excited about their profession, who look forward to getting up in the morning and going to work, who love their profession and what they do, those are the kinds of people I want to work with. Someone who is enthusiastic and has a willingness to learn new skills becomes a natural fit in any work environment. Show that you are eager to try, to learn new skills, to help the company however you can. Let them know you are willing to roll up your sleeves and help, daytime, nighttime, weekends. If you have a "Whatever It Takes" attitude, let me tell you, team players are winners!

4. Always Remember - An Interview is a Two-Way Street.
Just because YOU are being interviewed doesn't mean that you are the only one in the room who is being interviewed - You are equally interviewing the people and the company that you are interviewing with! Don't feel like the spotlight is solely on you. Are the people who you are interviewing with going to be your supervisors? If so, what are your first impressions? Does it sound like you will be a good fit with their company culture & work environment? Does it sound like the position they are considering you for meets your near-term job/education/career goals? You can do much to calm you mind (let's face it, interviews can be a bit nerve-racking for anyone...) and understand that as much as they are getting a feel for whether you would be a good fit, you are doing the same with them.

Good Luck, Thomas! Let us know how it goes for you-Others here in the membership can learn from your experiences if you are willing to share them. Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further help to you - Cheers!!!1

1619118430167.png