What is more serious a Defect or NC

Surya Singham

Knowledgeable Member
I have a question in my mind which is i am not able to understood well.

can anyone tell me what is more serious, a Defect or raised Nonconformity

rameshchandrapatel

Defects adversely affect the functionality of the product; indeed the defective product may be dangerous. A product’s nonconformity is a failure of a characteristic to meet a requirement. Defective products are therefore more serious than other types of product nonconformity.

The gap between the two (defect and nonconformity) is wasteful but a margin of safety is necessary because engineers and clients seek assurance of safety, reliability and durability but both have limited information about the actual performance of materials, structures and subsystems in a wide variety of operating conditions.

Therefore, defect and nonconformity may differ but we treat them the same way in that they must be corrected and that we should learn from them to improve our management systems.

In the continuum from an outcome being defective to perfect, we could diffrenciate quality parameteres along the following lines:
1. Defective – outcomes may injure or kill someone
2. Nonconforming – outcomes fail to meet a requirement and may arise to be a defect.
3. Quality – outcomes fulfill customer requirements
4. Excellent – outcomes exceed the needs of customers
5. Perfect – an ideal many choose to pursue

rameshchandrapatel

No way to avoid any defect. Depends upon the skill of the worker and the supervising personnel. Also some quality management systems are to be placed in the process, which is rare in the Indian construction industry.