Why theoretical concrete quantity is more than actual poured qty if there is mass concrete or by mechanical concrete

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Factors that affects the concrete quantity in practical application.

Yield of the concrete = it is like after mixing ingredients as per design, do am i getting volume of concrete equals to 1 cum or is there any difference.

This volume gets affected due to change in source of the aggregates, if aggregates becomes lighter in density, your concrete is going to give you more than a cum in volume for same mix design. it will further reduce the volume of the concrete in case of aggregates received are heavier than one used for doing mix design.

Batching Error - The batching plant if looses its calibration on its weight scales, it will impact severely on a produce concrete like it will overdose the aggregates in a mix which will tend to increase the volume of 1 cum of concrete with same cement content.

Error in Theoretical Concrete Quantity Calculations - This will also lead to difference between poured and theoretical quantity either on plus or on minus side.

Pouring Error - In case of the mass concrete pouring less by few mm or few cm could make a huge difference in the concrete quantity which in most of the cases results in consumption of concrete by less than required amount as per theoretical value.

Factors that affects the concrete quantity in practical application.

Yield of the concrete = it is like after mixing ingredients as per design, do am i getting volume of concrete equals to 1 cum or is there any difference.

This volume gets affected due to change in source of the aggregates, if aggregates becomes lighter in density, your concrete is going to give you more than a cum in volume for same mix design. it will further reduce the volume of the concrete in case of aggregates received are heavier than one used for doing mix design.

Batching Error - The batching plant if looses its calibration on its weight scales, it will impact severely on a produce concrete like it will overdose the aggregates in a mix which will tend to increase the volume of 1 cum of concrete with same cement content.

Error in Theoretical Concrete Quantity Calculations - This will also lead to difference between poured and theoretical quantity either on plus or on minus side.

Pouring Error - In case of the mass concrete pouring less by few mm or few cm could make a huge difference in the concrete quantity which in most of the cases results in consumption of concrete by less than required amount as per theoretical value.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
By stating density, I mean to say specific gravity in simplest way.

Specific gravity of the material do impact on the volume of the concrete produced, in case when the concrete production is done by weight batching process.

At the time of concrete mix designing, the weights of the each aggregates are decided base on their specific gravity.

Specific gravity is the ratio of per unit volume of material compared with same unit volume of water (stating it with unit of kg/cum does not make any difference like, aggregate having specific gravity of 2.9, I could say aggregates weights 2900 kg per cum in its purest form without any voids in it, but as its a ratio in mathematical calculations kg and cum get removed).

crush aggregates when taken as cum quantity, it will weight less due to presence of voids in it, if we compare it with same aggregate / rock which is in size of 1m x 1m x 1m.

example - I have to put 750 kg of 20 mm aggregates in concrete. if its specific gravity becomes low due to higher porosity or voids in it. the volume which it makes to same weight will get increase and will make my concrete more than a cum for same mix design. same way if its specific gravity increases my volume will become less for same required weight of aggregate in mix, this will result into less volume of concrete.

Heavy weight concrete is produced by using heavy aggregates where the volume of the concrete is same but weights of aggregates are more.

so changes in specific gravity of aggregates do impact on the volume of concrete produced with it.

Hello Sir, Can you Please make a Share an Excel Sheet for Concrete Mix Designs for all Grades
I Could See only M10,M25 and M30 and that one is with Fly Ash and one is with Pure Cement.

So it would be helpful if you can share all grades
M10, M20,M25,M30 Grades with Fly Ash

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
For concrete mix design program in excel sheet

For understanding and doing concrete mix designing.