how we can treat cracks and avoid the seepage inside the house from terrace

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
I too had experience same seepage issue at one of the place where i reside in resent past.

To stop the seepage from the ceiling, i did following;

When there is rain or water is stagnant on the terrace, i sprinkled the cement dry powder on crack areas.

After sprinkling of the cement powder on crack area, the action of seepage will also attract the particles of cement through cracks and once the particles enters into it, they get locked and forms a gel to seal those cracks.

This is very effective way of treatment and also the cost effective one.

You might need to do the sprinkling twice or thrice at same crack area to stop the leakage completely.

You may also do brooming on terrace after sprinkling of cement or pouring of cement slurry on terrace.

There is one more way of treating it, but need to be done every year before start of mansoon.

Take Pidicrete URP and Cement, mix them in 1:1 proportion to form a brush-able compound and apply it like paint on terrace floor with brush. this will form a elastic layer on the roof and will be unbreakable during monsoon but as soon as heat starts increasing, the disintegration might occur in it.

Reactions: Rajnish Hazarika
I too had experience same seepage issue at one of the place where i reside in resent past.

When there is rain or water is stagnant on the terrace, i sprinkled the cement dry powder on crack areas.

After sprinkling of the cement powder on crack area, the action of seepage will also attract the particles of cement through cracks and once the particles enters into it, they get locked and forms a gel to seal those cracks.

You might need to do the sprinkling twice or thrice at same crack area to stop the leakage completely.

You may also do brooming on terrace after sprinkling of cement or pouring of cement slurry on terrace.

There is one more way of treating it, but need to be done every year before start of mansoon.

Take Pidicrete URP and Cement, mix them in 1:1 proportion to form a brush-able compound and apply it like paint on terrace floor with brush. this will form a elastic layer on the roof and will be unbreakable during monsoon but as soon as heat starts increasing, the disintegration might occur in it.
OK Thank you Sir , we will try and see

I have come across my waterproofing contractor, opening the cracks, cleaning & applying PU sealant. Over the terrace applying Brushbond with UV resistance have proved effective in the old building enhancing the performance of the building

I have come across my waterproofing contractor, opening the cracks, cleaning & applying PU sealant. Over the terrace applying Brushbond with UV resistance have proved effective in the old building enhancing the performance of the building
Sir actually ,we are unable to open crack, because there is crack with more hollow sound , we tried to open crack but it is coming like pappad Sir.

Sir actually ,we are unable to open crack, because there is crack with moretrhollow sound , we tried to open crack but it is coming like
Sir actually ,we are unable to open crack, because there is crack with more hollow sound , we tried to open crack but it is coming like pappad Sir.
U have to redo if screed concrete has weakened & doing hollow sound. Use micro concrete if repair places r less.