Request for Method Statement of Mass concrete temperature testing using thermocouple.

Nawab I might be able to help if I can get a better understanding of the problem you are trying to solve. Are you looking to find a specification that you intend to provide in a set of contract documents that you are issuing to a contractor and want him to follow for monitoring the internal temperature of concrete for an element that you are constructing? Or are you looking for a heat of hydration monitoring plan, where you might have a mass structure that requires temperature controls due to the size of the element?

Nawab M A

I need to know how to measure the temperature of mass concrete using the thermocouple during mass concreting(more than 2m). As per our client requirement, the difference in temperature should be less than 20 Degree C. What is the method I can adopt to achieve this? And also any code specification related to this.

I'm waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.

@Nawab M A, Maybe this can help you a little, the last time we used this method to finish a turbine foundation work in Indonesia, we used thermocouples to check the concrete temperature.

Attachments

• Method Statement For STG Foundation Basemat Works.pdf
    796.6 KB · Views: 93
@Nawab M A Type K thermocouple can be used for measuring the temperature of concrete. Its sensitivity/accuracy is little higher to about +- 2degree Celsius compared to other type thermocouples/temperature detectors. One thermocouple can be placed at the centre of the concrete and one additional thermocouple as a standby to the first thermocouple also to be placed near to the location. To measure surface temperature, either ambient temperature can be taken or thermocouple can be placed 50mm inside from the surface. Temperature to be monitored at closer intervals till the attainment of peak temperature.

We are using smartrock 2 sensor thermometer to measure the temperature at core and using gun temperature metre to get the surface temperature. The thermal gradient is not more than 22 deg c.
Continue chilled water, using ice, sprinkled coarse aggregate, low cement temperature can possibly reduce the produced concrete temperature.
Using liquid nitrogen also an alternative to the mass concrete.

Attachments

• Bulletin. 4 Temperature Control of Concrete at Early Ages.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • is.7861.1.1975.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 16