What is the guidelines to be considered for concrete pouring plan

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
I am assuming you want to know about how to pour the concrete in slabs and beams

First concrete should be poured in the column beam junction area and then allowed it to flow towards the center of the beam.

Then the concrete should be poured on slab and leveled.

Don't forget to compact it (Just joking ;))

Now a days how it is poured.

we pour it either on slab or in beam center and then with vibrator it is moved to beam and then beam column junction.

Pouring on this location causes roll over of aggregates and that aggregates goes into the main junction of column and beams.

Due to rollover aggregates settlement in column area, the fines did not go down and we see honeycombing.

Moreover to honey combing its more dangerous because cavity inside the column area wont take compression, thus result into failure of structure.

Column beam junction is one where max forces acts and its a cracking zone.

You can use flexible pipe hose at the ends of concrete pipeline to ensure the concrete goes first into the column beam junction and then into beam and lastly poured on slab area.

You can keep a construction joint at L/3 or L/7 or as specified by the structural consultant.

Joint should be cleaned and roughened after setting of concrete, to have good bonding between old and new concrete.

if this is not you were looking for, please reply in details, what you wanted to know as pouring plan means a lot of things but this is a most important thing which i just written above.

Reactions: P Bhaskar

K Kiran

I would like to add some more points as re-requisites in case of planning large pours
a)Availability of plant and machinery setup at the place of production and placement location of concrete.
b)Availability of tested concrete ingredients in required quantity
c)Approved mix design
d) calibrated batching plant/batch weigher
e) Availability of standby power supply arrangement at concrete production and placement point for uninterrupted concreting.
f)Availability sufficient vibrator operator/vibrators
g) Detailed Pour Plan indicating quantity of pour, pump location,piping layout, placing sequence and rate of placement.
h) Preparation of Construction joint
i) Curing of concrete.