What is the name of this bar shape and where it is used

This type of bar are call as hunch bars. It is use where depth of section gradually increase. It helps in shear force, while designing the structure of u are taking the advantage of hunch you have to provide minimum requirements to full fill the minimum requirements as per code so extra reinforced is provided. We can not take direction it's advantage in bending moment. Because it will difficult to find neutral axis of that section. And force disperse at ratio 1:3 in different thicknesses of elements.

Reactions: Dnyan Deshmukh

Aakash Dudhat

Apprentice
Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Use of Haunch Bar?

1. If Haunch Bar is used in the bottom of the tank and other load-bearing structures from the side, then it will provide extra strength or to retain shear form on the wall, because the wall will work like a cantilever.

2. If Haunch Bar is used in Corner of the tank and other structure i.e. retaining wall then it's will reduce the stress developed in the Corner portion and will carry the more shear force.

Haunch Bar's the type of design provided major bridges to resist the water pressure and share resistance this type of bar called Hunching bar

In sort
http://civilexperiences.blogspot.com/
  • Improve Shear resistance
  • Avoid leakage
  • Improve load caring capacity of side
  • Decrease pressure
Application of Haunch bar in real life
Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Application of Haunch bar

• Water tank
  • Retaining wall
  • Box culverts
  • Swimming pool

What is the reinforcement called as as shown in the sketch.what is the purpose.in which location and in which part of the structure it is provided.can some one clarify my doubts?

View attachment 2650
It is a haunch reinforcement usually provided in RCC water sumps ,OHT & provided in 1/3rd height above the base of sump/tank to distribute the stress due to lateral water pressure on a bigger changers area

What is the structure, is it a tunnel?
It is like a stiffener, it is part of the design, in case of the wall, if it is too high and to accommodate external pressure this type of stiffener will be provided. I have seen in the tunnel roof with this kind of stiffener so as to minimize the thickness of the slab.
Normally , we can see the culvert across the road with this type of stiffener at supporting end of slab.

What is the reinforcement called as as shown in the sketch.what is the purpose.in which location and in which part of the structure it is provided.can some one clarify my doubts?

View attachment 2650
What is the structure, is it a tunnel? It is like a stiffener, it is part of the design, in case of the wall , if it is too high and to accommodate external pressure this type of stiffener will be provided. I have seen in the tunnel roof with this kind of stiffener so as to minimize the thickness of the slab. Normally, we can see the culvert across the road with this type of stiffener at supporting the end of the slab

Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Use of Haunch Bar?

1. If Haunch Bar is used in the bottom of the tank and other load-bearing structures from the side, then it will provide extra strength or to retain shear form on the wall, because the wall will work like a cantilever.

2. If Haunch Bar is used in Corner of the tank and other structure i.e. retaining wall then it's will reduce the stress developed in the Corner portion and will carry the more shear force.

Haunch Bar's the type of design provided major bridges to resist the water pressure and share resistance this type of bar called Hunching bar

In sort
http://civilexperiences.blogspot.com/
  • Improve Shear resistance
  • Avoid leakage
  • Improve load caring capacity of side
  • Decrease pressure
Application of Haunch bar in real life
Haunch Bar
Haunch Bar
Application of Haunch bar

• Water tank
  • Retaining wall
  • Box culverts
  • Swimming pool

And retaining structure elements in dam also.....

Bandya

Apprentice
This type of reinforcement is called HAUNCH bar. It is used to strengthen the joints between
1. a reinforced wall and base raft as in case of water tank and any other tank, basements, high rise retaining walls, column caps with etc. and
2. corners of reinforced walls and slab as in case of RCC tunnels, side walls of containers like bins, water and other tanks etc.

They serve to cater for increased moments as the depth is also increased with thickness of haunch.