What is the rates of labour for different construction activities per square feet basis

mdali - I'd like to share with you some sage engineering & career advice from a guy with 30+ years of tackling questions like the one you've asked: You became an engineer because you are a person who loves to solve problems. This is a problem that you can solve. Anyone can search the internet for a cookie-cutter answer, but that's not engineering. The question you've posed has dozens of variables and doesn't lend itself to an easy answer - Only YOU can plug numbers into variables to develop an answer that will serve you and your client.

Before you read on, do me a favor: Spend a few minutes reading an article that I wrote a couple of years ago - I want you to have some perspective on why I'm so passionate about addressing issues like the one you've posed: Googling Isn’t Engineering

Think of how many variables your question poses: Let say, for example, you were hoping to get a SF cost for an electrician installing a hotel room electrical system. You are trying to find out what 200 SM of electrical labor costs. Think about this:
--How many electricians are working? 2? Maybe 3?
--How much conduit & cable do they need to install? 100 M? 200 M?
--Does the hotel room have communications conduit & cable to install? Does the fire alarm system have to be wired?
--Do the local building codes allow for Romex (cable without conduit) or is conduit required?
--What kind of ceiling lights are being installed: Recessed? Fluorescent?
--How about the bathroom: What kind of fixtures, fans, lights are being installed?
--How many switches are there in the room? How many outlets?
--Who is running the conduit for the heating & A/C systems, the electrician of the HVAC subcontractor?

And how about this: What country are you working in? What is the pay scale for the trade(s) you are estimating. That, in itself, will be a major factor in your SF costs....

In order to do a cost estimate, you have to have an iron-clad understanding of the scope of work that's being installed. Once you have that, you can develop the number of manhours needed to install everything in your scope of work. Certainly once you have your manhours, you can get your hourly labor costs. You have to add all of the labor benefits, your home office costs, and any other markup costs that you will include with your hourly rate. Now you have the answers to get you to getting a per SM cost of what you've estimated.

mdali, we've never met, but I'd be willing to bet that you are the kind of engineer that clients love - The kind of engineer who wants to learn. Who is willing to ask questions of his/her peers. Who seeks answers to questions you think you can't answer yourself. That puts you above the engineer who is simply looking for an easy answer. Engineers like you are trained & educated to make answering tough questions look easy. Grab your calculator and dig in. I'm willing to help you formulate your solution - You can reach out to me anytime, I'm more that happy to help in anyway I can - Cheers!!!

Reactions: Murali K

amd007

Elite Member
mdali - I'd like to share with you some sage engineering & career advice from a guy with 30+ years of tackling questions like the one you've asked: You became an engineer because you are a person who loves to solve problems. This is a problem that you can solve. Anyone can search the internet for a cookie-cutter answer, but that's not engineering. The question you've posed has dozens of variables and doesn't lend itself to an easy answer - Only YOU can plug numbers into variables to develop an answer that will serve you and your client.

Before you read on, do me a favor: Spend a few minutes reading an article that I wrote a couple of years ago - I want you to have some perspective on why I'm so passionate about addressing issues like the one you've posed: Googling Isn’t Engineering

Think of how many variables your question poses: Let say, for example, you were hoping to get a SF cost for an electrician installing a hotel room electrical system. You are trying to find out what 200 SM of electrical labor costs. Think about this:
--How many electricians are working? 2? Maybe 3?
--How much conduit & cable do they need to install? 100 M? 200 M?
--Does the hotel room have communications conduit & cable to install? Does the fire alarm system have to be wired?
--Do the local building codes allow for Romex (cable without conduit) or is conduit required?
--What kind of ceiling lights are being installed: Recessed? Fluorescent?
--How about the bathroom: What kind of fixtures, fans, lights are being installed?
--How many switches are there in the room? How many outlets?
--Who is running the conduit for the heating & A/C systems, the electrician of the HVAC subcontractor?

And how about this: What country are you working in? What is the pay scale for the trade(s) you are estimating. That, in itself, will be a major factor in your SF costs....

In order to do a cost estimate, you have to have an iron-clad understanding of the scope of work that's being installed. Once you have that, you can develop the number of manhours needed to install everything in your scope of work. Certainly once you have your manhours, you can get your hourly labor costs. You have to add all of the labor benefits, your home office costs, and any other markup costs that you will include with your hourly rate. Now you have the answers to get you to getting a per SM cost of what you've estimated.

mdali, we've never met, but I'd be willing to bet that you are the kind of engineer that clients love - The kind of engineer who wants to learn. Who is willing to ask questions of his/her peers. Who seeks answers to questions you think you can't answer yourself. That puts you above the engineer who is simply looking for an easy answer. Engineers like you are trained & educated to make answering tough questions look easy. Grab your calculator and dig in. I'm willing to help you formulate your solution - You can reach out to me anytime, I'm more than happy to help in anyway I can - Cheers!!!

Good reply HP,

The new generation does not find pleasure in researching a challenge coming their way, instead, they are more keen on getting answers easily and with least effort.

Now the question asked will have so much of variances, let's say someone based in India and within Indian boundaries too, the rates will vary so much that if anyone even thinks of answering the question would be in a dilemma???

If I were a newbie, then I would personally visit sites within my proximity and try to gather the rates either by enquiring with contractors working around my place of the proximity or the place of work where these rates are required. A generalized rate will not be practical and will not benefit me.

Brother mdali, this is not the way engineers work....

If you want a generalized answer then kindly let us know which part of the world you want the rates so that a more specific answer can be attempted.