What is Thumb rule formula for calculating materials in building construction

Chetan Yadav

Staff member
No thumb rule will help you to predict the material quantities.

It varies from type of structure, purpose of constructing it and finishes as per specification.

Better to calculate it from drawing.

Thumb rules can screw your career if refer without understanding it.

This is not common for all, just like common sense is not common in all people.

If you are not satisfied with this answer, elaborate your question further more to get right answer.

Hello sir this is ashpak Hawaldar presently working in Saudi Arabia. and specially now im working Retail construction like Shop construction,Interior Decoration,Finishing works,Restaurants,Offices and Villa,Renovations and Maintenance so can u please share the related data for this work.

1549304633442.png
I thought I'd add to Mr. Chetan's comment with some additional support for his statements: Blindly following "plug numbers" without having an understanding of how it was derived is a dangerous estimating technique. Just looking at the info graphic, unit costs are derived from variables, and unless you know the variables, you don't know what's in your unit price. If a young engineer came to me and said, "I'm going to use $350/cubic yard for concrete," my first question to him/her would be "How did you arrive at that unit cost?" If I get a blank stare, I KNOW that the engineer didn't take the time to do a detailed estimate and therefore, his unit price is unreliable - Don't be "That Engineer."

Hello sir this is ashpak Hawaldar presently working in Saudi Arabia. and specially now im working Retail construction like Shop construction,Interior Decoration,Finishing works,Restaurants,Offices and Villa,Renovations and Maintenance so can u please share the related data for this work.

Mr. ASH7256, did you get a satisfactory reply to your request? I have several thoughts for you but wasn't sure if this would be the correct thread to post them on....

Reactions: Jethwachhatrapal