Block Wall on Existing Concrete Slab.

Sumukh

Dear Friends,
In one of the societies in Pune, a builder wishes to convert existing two adjacent shops into a residential unit.
For which he intends to change interior block wall arrangement. This will surely result in to some of the block walls be directly placed on existing concrete slabs.
His RCC consultant has agreed to it but I am not in favor of this.

Can anyone be sure slabs can resist direct Block wall load?

Regards
Sumukh

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
RCC Consultant should give it in writing, A verbal Yes becomes No when something bad happens.

The builder should make a plan of new layout and should send it to approval from consultant with material details which will be used to build a wall.

Once consultants sees it, he will do his calculation and will provide the approval.
When such conditions occurs, if that is not safe. RCC consultant will not give a written permission for doing that.

Also ensure when a Consultant gives permission to do that, check his comments if any.
Ensure material used is as per the written permission.
In any case do not allow anyone to damage or broke the structural elements like beam and columns.

Most of accidents which happened in mumbai are due to interior designer who does work without thinking of structure.
Even if someone ask them, what will happen to structure. They blindly says, this is not my first project i did lot of such works and nothing will happen.

Better to have written permission from RCC Consultant which makes authenticity for doing such work and the RCC Consultant becomes responsible for it.

If you are one of the resident of that building then, take copy of that permission document and send it to RCC Consultant via email stating, this is to confirm, you gave permission for doing such works, if its not given by you then kindly revert back ASAP.

This ensure no escape for consultant and if work is not having risk he will take that responsibility or will email you back.

RCC Consultant should give it in writing, A verbal Yes becomes No when something bad happens.

The builder should make a plan of new layout and should send it to approval from consultant with material details which will be used to build a wall.

Once consultants sees it, he will do his calculation and will provide the approval.
When such conditions occurs, if that is not safe. RCC consultant will not give a written permission for doing that.

Also ensure when a Consultant gives permission to do that, check his comments if any.
In any case do not allow anyone to damage or broke the structural elements like beam and columns.

Most of accidents which happened in mumbai are due to interior designer who does work without thinking of structure.
Even if someone ask them, what will happen to structure. They blindly says, this is not my first project i did lot of such works and nothing will happen.

Better to have written permission from RCC Consultant which makes authenticity for doing such work and the RCC Consultant becomes responsible for it.

If you are one of the resident of that building then, take copy of that permission document and send it to RCC Consultant via email stating, this is to confirm, you gave permission for doing such works, if its not given by you then kindly revert back ASAP.

This ensure no escape for consultant and if work is not having risk he will take that responsibility or will email you back.
Thanks so much sir

Sumukh

Thanks a lot Mr. Dnyan Deshmukh