Does AAC block absorb water?

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
I too had same question on my mind, the density / specific gravity of water is more than that of AAC blocks.

AAC blocks are somewhere from 450 kg per cum till 850 kg per cum and water is 1000 kg per cum.

When we put a AAC block in water, it wont get immersed into it due to its light weight and it starts floating on the water surface, though some part of AAC block get immersed into water.

Through the curiosity in my mind and for understanding the behavior of AAC block, i did a testing by immersing AAC block under water forcefully by keeping some weights on to it for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, i saw the water was absorbed by AAC blocks. To know the extent of penetration of water under the AAC Block, we cut that block from center with hand saw.
After cutting the block i observed, even though i tried to force water inside of it under pressure, it was penetrated up to an inch in it only.

I can not say, do really AAC blocks absorb the water or not, but it can not hold water inside of it due to its light weight property and until something makes it to take it under very high pressure it wont gonna absorb it.

There might be some penetration on surface till few mm under normal circumstances but it may be termed as adsorbed water as it get fill into the cellular voids of blocks.

AAc block does not allow passing of water from its one end to other. Its a easiest test you can do on your own and verify if you are working at project, take a block and put it in curing tank by keeping some weights on it. After 24 hours simply take out and make your observations. cut the block and also check for penetration depth.

AAC blockwork need curing?
it depends on how you are going to do AAC blockwork.
AAC blocks are 100% hydrated during manufacturing and hardly any action of hydration happens in it. as its a product which is hydrated 100% with desired strength properties, there is no need to cure blocks.

If you are doing blockwork using block adhesive which have water retaining polymers into it, there is no need to do curing of blockwork.
If you are going to do blockwork in cement sand mortar, there is definitely need of curing of blockwork.

Reactions: Sushil90