How can cement dry even in humid or rainy days?

How can cement dry even in humid or rainy days?
Sumit Civil What a great question - To me, the way I read it, it's really a "Double Question:"

1. Is the question: It rained on a concrete parking lot today - How does the concrete dry on a humid day?
or
2. Is the question: Our crew poured a concrete parking lot this morning and now it's humid & raining and the weather forecast for the next few days is calling for rain & heavy humidity - How does the concrete dry?

I think Question #2 is what you were asking....? I love questions like this because they force us back to simple, basic engineering fundamentals to find the answers....

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Cement does not actually dries up but it sets in a place by reacting with water.

Setting or hardening of the concrete does happens purely due to chemical reaction between the water and cement particles.
In rainy days or in winter the process of hydration / chemical reaction might get slow down but the process never get stopped and within the 28 days cement achieves its around 100% bonding with other ingredients in concrete.

So it does not matter if its a cold, concrete sets and becomes hard, only thing matter is, it may take longer time compare to normal temperatures.

Reactions: Mehboob