I am Harish Desai, a civil engineer from Mumbai University

hary1973

Apprentice
I am Harish Desai, a graduate civil engineer from Mumbai University. I am currently working for a road contractor. I have to do his billing. Kindly let me know how to do billing in roadworks?

Reactions: HockeyPuck
Welcome to the community, hary1973 If you could be a little more specific on what your assignment is, maybe I can assist you: Are you trying to send an invoice to a customer for work that your company has completed? Are you billing for just your company's services or do you also have subcontractors and material supplers who you are also billing for?

hary1973

Apprentice
Welcome to the community, hary1973 If you could be a little more specific on what your assignment is, maybe I can assist you: Are you trying to send an invoice to a customer for work that your company has completed? Are you billing for just your company's services or do you also have subcontractors and material supplers who you are also billing for?

I have sub-contractors. I have to make their labor bill after taking measurements of the work done and I also have the responsibility of making the invoice of work done by my company to get payment from the client.

I have sub-contractors. I have to make their labor bill after taking measurements of the work done and I also have the responsibility of making the invoice of work done by my company to get payment from the client.

Harish, how is your contract setup with your client? Are you working on a line item / unit price contract where you are invoicing based on the units you actually installed, like 100 SM of Driveway Concrete @ $100.00/SM = $10,000? Or are you invoicing for the labor, equipment and material charges actually used to install an element, which would require you to provide labor rates, manhours used, equipment used and hourly rates, etc.?

And for your subcontractors, are they billing your company and are you passing their invoices directly to the client? Will you receive a markup percentage of your subcontractors' invoices?

Harish, I wrote an article a while back that touches on a lot of what I've mentioned above - Take a look at it as it might help you a bit.