I have hairline cracks on walls everywhere in my new house - is it normal?

Sumit Civil

I have hairline cracks on walls everywhere in my new house. Near the electrical switch boards, wall joints, ceiling plaster and in the middle of the walls. Are these normal in new houses or not and what is the repairing method?

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Hair line cracking in newly constructed home is a normal thing, it tends to happen.

To minimize the cracking on wall we can take precautionary measures like, application of chicken mesh on all brick and rcc joints, on top of rendered electrical conduit chased area etc.

You can fill those cracks by filling putty into it.

If the cracking re-occurs and its width keeps on increasing, then it need to be looked into deep for causes.

Hair line cracking in newly constructed home is a normal thing, it tends to happen.

To minimize the cracking on wall we can take precautionary measures like, application of chicken mesh on all brick and rcc joints, on top of rendered electrical conduit chased area etc.

You can fill those cracks by filling putty into it.

If the cracking re-occurs and its width keeps on increasing, then it need to be looked into deep for causes.

1.Putty won't have cracks.?
2.Is there any norms of IS CODE for chicken mesh thickness?
3.During construction or plastering what is good working for column and brick joint?