Answered Is it column lapping is correct?if not tell me what happened.

Reddy

Sep 8, 2017
In this first column bar lapping was at some distance from main bar so it is fine or any problem with this lapping?

amd007

Premium Member
Apr 17, 2018
mumbai
View attachment 2958
In this first column bar lapping was at some distance from main bar so it is fine or any problem with this lapping?
View attachment 2958
I will say that it is incorrect.

have always quoted on this forum and elsewhere, that all such details cant be generalized in fact lots depends on the structural drawings and structural engineer design.

once again would reiterate that for all structural matters always refer to structural drawings and take advice from the structual engineer.

am attaching a general drawing at one of my sites for reference purpose only, pls ensure that you consult your designer before implementing anything.

most of the details are covered for knowledge of all but again its a general drawing, always be specific and refer to your structural engineer ask him for general drawing for your site, all designers issue the same at the start of the project.

Attachments

Reactions: Reddy

HockeyPuck

Feb 3, 2019
Chicago, Illinois (USA)

have always quoted on this forum and elsewhere, that all such details cant be generalized in fact lots depends on the structural drawings and structural engineer design.

once again would reiterate that for all structural matters always refer to structural drawings and take advice from the structual engineer.

am attaching a general drawing at one of my sites for reference purpose only, pls ensure that you consult your designer before implementing anything.

most of the details are covered for knowledge of all but again its a general drawing, always be specific and refer to your structural engineer ask him for general drawing for your site, all designers issue the same at the start of the project.
amd007 You raise a great point - Even though this installation doesn't necessarily look like we think it should look like, it doesn't make it wrong if the designer prescribed it.....

It is very rare, using US concrete codes & agency specifications, that some of the laps (or in this picture's case, the non-contact laps...) are appropriate, particularly with the size of the bars installed. I, like you, would definitely want to consult the design engineer on this one....

Reactions: Reddy

Harshal.khode

May 25, 2019
Pune
View attachment 2958
This is incorrect, because most of lapping bars length are variable and as per SP 34, All the lapped joints length shall be lapping till bend of the alternate rod, which is not shown in attached pictures. Technically this is totally wrongs.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Honorary Member
Staff member
Sep 7, 2017
Pune
It look like lapping of column is short.
from the pic it indicate the lapping of column not done before casting of columns.
After casting of the column bars are simply lapped which got short lap length which made crank to go up.

The lapping of column reinforcement bars should never fall in column beam junction area.

remedy for current situation -
break the column concrete so that bar with sufficient lap length can be lapped with bars coming from column.

in most of the cases remedy suggested by structural consultant for laps where it falls in column beam junction area is to stitch weld the bars at 3 places 2 on one face at ends and 1 stitch on opposite face of lapped bars at center.

you should show the lapping of column bar gone in column beam junction to your structural consultant and take approval from them for the same.

Reddy

Sep 8, 2017

Thank you sir