Rusting on Reinforcement

Mech42

At my site, Reinforcement become little brownish and seems somehow corroded at some extent. However I feel I can use them. How to prove that Reinforcement is really corroded or not? What is allowance limit of Corrosion in steel?

steel rusting.jpg

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Small amount of rusting is treated as good for bonding with concrete by many.

When its start to scale it is not good, in scaling the wearing of steel can be seen.

to prove you can do following test by removing rust from it;
Checking the diameter of steel within tolerance.
Checking weight per meter within tolerance.
Doing a physical testing for strength property of the steel.

Rusting is a process of oxidisation of iron (steel) and it will start decaying it from the surface.

The small amount of rust like brownish colour actually reduces the rate of further rusting due to layer created on surface.

Mech42

When its start to scale it is not good, in scaling the wearing of steel can be seen.

Rusting is a process of oxidisation of iron (steel) and it will start decaying it from the surface.

The small amount of rust like brownish colour actually reduces the rate of further rusting due to layer created on surface.
Thank You Sir.

Dear sir, how we can measure the diameter since ribs are there over the surface, besides whether there is any tolerance for the value