What do you say about this ?

What is the reason for this

View attachment 2572
It is segregation of concrete due to following reasons..
1. First and for most is poor concrete mix design
2. Improper placement of concrete
3. Fall of concrete greater than 1m height
4. Quality of ingredients is poor
5. More Voids are present while placing and compaction of concrete in formwork
6. Place is not clean where concrete is mixed
7. Vibrator is not used properly
8. Poor workmanship
9. Adverse weather conditions
10. Corruption

I think all the responders before me may have missed the real issue here: Where are the forms? They are off the column. How is there plastic concrete spilling from the bottom? That could only occur if the forms are are removed AND the concrete still wet.....

This issue is not a concrete issue, it is a column forming issue. My guess is that the forms blew out, so the Contractor removed them so that he could wash out the still-plastic concrete and maybe salvage the column rebar.

Take a look at the spacing of the form ties (the thin bars sticking out of the column), I'd guess there is over 1 meter spacing between them, which is not sufficient for the the amount of wet load being applied by the concrete (presuming this is a full floor height column). We don't know if there were any form ties at the bottom/base of the column (can't see from the picture), so the failure may likely started along the floor, the forms toed out, the form ties popped under the load and ended up blowing out.

Agree or disagree with me...??

I think all the responders before me may have missed the real issue here: Where are the forms? They are off the column. How is there plastic concrete spilling from the bottom? That could only occur if the forms are are removed AND the concrete still wet.....

This issue is not a concrete issue, it is a column forming issue. My guess is that the forms blew out, so the Contractor removed them so that he could wash out the still-plastic concrete and maybe salvage the column rebar.

Take a look at the spacing of the form ties (the thin bars sticking out of the column), I'd guess there is over 1 meter spacing between them, which is not sufficient for the the amount of wet load being applied by the concrete (presuming this is a full floor height column). We don't know if there were any form ties at the bottom/base of the column (can't see from the picture), so the failure may likely started along the floor, the forms toed out, the form ties popped under the load and ended up blowing out.

Agree or disagree with me...??

Nice explanation.thanks

Reactions: HockeyPuck