What is Khurra in terrace waterproofing? How it is prepared

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Long time in past the khurra was very famous while doing waterproofing, i too havent used this but got to learn about it from my one of the boss.

Khurra is a tin sheet which is installed at the drain location and hole is made inside of it, from the hole the drain pipe is installed in the cutout area.
Due to making hole in the tin sheet (take a paper in your hand and make hole in it by punching the pen at center) it gets more area to interlock and the surface of the tin shit does not allow the water to pass from it which prevents leakages on external surface of the wall.

Now a days you can see a MS pipes with flanges which is installed in RCC structure (water tanks) uses the same principle, does not allow the water to pass directly to outer face.

To imagine how khurra is, you can see how flanged pipe is installed in water structure, same way the tin sheet becomes a flange and you run a PVC drain pipe through it in cutout area.

vishal Tade

Quality Assurance Engineer Lodha Group Mumbai
Thank u Sir.

Long time in past the khurra was very famous while doing waterproofing, i too havent used this but got to learn about it from my one of the boss.

Khurra is a tin sheet which is installed at the drain location and hole is made inside of it, from the hole the drain pipe is installed in the cutout area.
Due to making hole in the tin sheet (take a paper in your hand and make hole in it by punching the pen at center) it gets more area to interlock and the surface of the tin shit does not allow the water to pass from it which prevents leakages on external surface of the wall.

Now a days you can see a MS pipes with flanges which is installed in RCC structure (water tanks) uses the same principle, does not allow the water to pass directly to outer face.

To imagine how khurra is, you can see how flanged pipe is installed in water structure, same way the tin sheet becomes a flange and you run a PVC drain pipe through it in cutout area.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
It is very well explained by others, I would like to share a picture of khurrah that will help you.

View attachment 3752
Thanks for posting the image, let me correct my statement, its a LEAD sheet and not a tin sheet (i wrongly mentioned it as Tin sheet)

some information about LEAD pasted below from Wikipedia

Lead (/ˈlɛd/) is a chemical element with the symbol Pb (from the Latin plumbum) and atomic number 82. It is a heavy metal that is denser than most common materials. Lead is soft and malleable, and also has a relatively low melting point.