Which type of brick work masonry cracks and what is the remedy for these cracks? And what could be the reason behind this ?

Xaini

Apprentice
What are the major causes of these brick masonry cracks? Which type of cracks are seen in above pictures?

Note :- *it is the 1st floor 👆not ground floor...!! Its walls are also separated from the floor in recent condition.

===>>> Now what could be the remedy for this problem? Because rain water penetrate through these cracks also disturb the rooms of below portion... What should we do to solve this...? Kindly see in attach pictures 🙏

IMG_20210603_163754.jpg

IMG_20210603_165048.jpg
IMG_20210603_164245.jpg

Reactions: Er.Deepak Kumar

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Photographs and description provided by you shows a faulty masonry works.

The vertical joint staggering is not done correctly near the door opening area, may be more joints in subsequent layers came almost straight in line.
The mortar used might be having more thickness and not cured properly.

The operation of door might induced the stresses on wall surface which resulted into cracking in weak junctions of brick joint (your second photo also shows hollow joint at one place).

Top horizontal crack - poor joint sealing / finishing.

By looking into photos, it seems to be old structure where cracking is matured, you can seal / fill / patch all those cracks with non-shrink grout.

If its your own home, you can do same with normal cement mortar and keep proper curing by covering the finished work with wet hessian cloths.

If its very old kind of the the structure, you can inspect for Quality of masonry works by removing plaster near by cracking areas, if masonry work is faulty, you may consider reconstruction of that wall - this may not be required but if you think its a very serious problem, go for rework.

• Love
Reactions: Xaini

Xaini

Apprentice
Photographs and description provided by you shows a faulty masonry works.

The vertical joint staggering is not done correctly near the door opening area, may be more joints in subsequent layers came almost straight in line.
The mortar used might be having more thickness and not cured properly.

The operation of door might induced the stresses on wall surface which resulted into cracking in weak junctions of brick joint (your second photo also shows hollow joint at one place).

Top horizontal crack - poor joint sealing / finishing.

By looking into photos, it seems to be old structure where cracking is matured, you can seal / fill / patch all those cracks with non-shrink grout.

If its your own home, you can do same with normal cement mortar and keep proper curing by covering the finished work with wet hessian cloths.

If its very old kind of the the structure, you can inspect for Quality of masonry works by removing plaster near by cracking areas, if masonry work is faulty, you may consider reconstruction of that wall - this may not be required but if you think its a very serious problem, go for rework.
Thanks Sir, i understand ❤️ sir will you please tell me about the non shrink grout? Which material we should use regarding this? It's not my home but my friend's.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Thanks Sir, i understand ❤️ sir will you please tell me about the non shrink grout? Which material we should use regarding this? It's not my home but my friend's.
You can use any brand non-shrink grout, all do work same, they achieve the good bond strength as well as does not shrink.

i do not have any idea about manufacturers in your country. you can contact any construction chemical / adhesive manufacturing company and ask them for their non-shrink grout product details.