Who is responsible? Is it engineer or architect

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
May be both or may not be, Structural designer may not have look into architectural and utility features in that area and put the column there.
Site Engineer haven't read both the drawing or have not referred architectural drawing for other details like door window and wall locations.

Or might be window had introduced in later stage when the actual RCC work was completed and the house owner still wanted the window in that area, no matter how ugly it can look.

May be both or may not be, Structural designer may not have look into architectural and utility features in that area and put the column there.
Site Engineer haven't read both the drawing or have not referred architectural drawing for other details like door window and wall locations.

Or might be window had introduced in later stage when the actual RCC work was completed and the house owner still wanted the window in that area, no matter how ugly it can look.
In my opinion, it's the person who released GFC drawings. I believe, as per the system and procedures that I follow with companies I work with, there's a Project Architect in PMC team a similar person is in design team. It's joint responsibility of both to eliminate such mistakes and are properly and clearly documented in all construction release documents with due cross referencing.

"_" yes sir you are right : )

amd007

Elite Member
First, the responsible person is the ground level staff which could be the Site Engineer, Site Supervisor as this is to be brought to the notice of both the Architect and the Structural Engineer in all cases where you feel that something is wrong.

Secondly, if all of you are familiar with the drawings in the TITLE BLOCK the is a sweet note written by all architects and design engineers it goes like this "ANY DISCREPANCIES IN THE DRAWING TO BE BROUGHT TO THE NOTICE OF THE CONSULTANT BEFORE EXECUTION" so the total onus rests on the site people.

so in this case neither the Architect nor the Consultant is responsible. ONLY THE SITE ENGINEER/SITE TECHNICAL STAFF IS RESPONSIBLE.

First, the responsible person is the ground level staff which could be the Site Engineer, Site Supervisor as this is to be brought to the notice of both the Architect and the Structural Engineer in all cases where you feel that something is wrong.

Secondly, if all of you are familiar with the drawings in the TITLE BLOCK the is a sweet note written by all architects and design engineers it goes like this "ANY DISCREPANCIES IN THE DRAWING TO BE BROUGHT TO THE NOTICE OF THE CONSULTANT BEFORE EXECUTION" so the total onus rests on the site people.

so in this case neither the Architect nor the Consultant is responsible. ONLY THE SITE ENGINEER/SITE TECHNICAL STAFF IS RESPONSIBLE.
Very interesting. But I think the responsibility of the site engineer is to ensure quality execution as per the GFC release documents. Designs and generation of GFC documents is not his responsibility.

amd007

Elite Member
Very interesting. But I think the responsibility of the site engineer is to ensure quality execution as per the GFC release documents. Designs and generation of GFC documents is not his responsibility.

When we say I am an Engineer, please also remember that he is taught everything in his curriculum which starts with design to execution to quality, etc, etc. However, when we reach the site we tend to forget some of our roles.

In this case site person does not need to design anything, just he needs to bring it to notice of concerned authority if even after your identification of the issue if it's not addressed then you don't need to worry.

When we say I am an Engineer, please also remember that he is taught everything in his curriculum which starts with design to execution to quality, etc, etc. However, when we reach the site we tend to forget some of our roles.

In this case site person does not need to design anything, just he needs to bring it to notice of concerned authority if even after your identification of the issue if it's not addressed then you don't need to worry.
I was responding to your comment about total responsibility of site people sighing the note about discrepancy. In my opinion, such notes, and many more are for caution, care, transparency and sharing. Not for absolving, as I understand.

MAR

Founder Member
Who is responsible for such a crazy construction.is it architect or site engineer?
View attachment 3034

It can be both or not

As per my previous experience with Indian Client, they aren't fixed to the design even after finalizing it. Even if you design the structure for 4 floors and at the last moment they will inform you that next week we will cast one more slab. They don't clearly deliver their requirements with all.