Why cover to reinforcement steel is provided?

Sumit Civil

I see, cover blocks are used at site to provide the cover to reinforcement steel bars.

Why cover blocks are provided, what if i dont put the cover blocks.

What to do when i see bar after concreting, i saw many bar of beam in column after concreting.

Reactions: Tezu

Pawan Dhagate

Staff member
Dear Member ,

Your Answers lies in your question itself . Still i will answer your last statement , If you see many bars of beam in column then
Following precautions can be taken
Provide proper covers
Check water tightness for shuttering
Proper concrete mix and placement of it.
Good supervision , in your case strict supervision
Overall you have to be very proactive civil engineer on site .

All the best !!!

Last edited:
I see, cover blocks are used at site to provide the cover to reinforcement steel bars.

Why cover blocks are provided, what if i dont put the cover blocks.

What to do when i see bar after concreting, i saw many bar of beam in column after concreting.

As you only answer the question that cover blocks are provided to cover the reinforcement.

Why Cover blocks provided :-
Cover blocks are essential to protect the reinforcement from external weather conditions.For example, when rain water gets contact with steel it will slowly lead to corrosion.Due to these the still try to expand which ultimately leads to cracks on concrete surface and spalling of concrete begins.If proper cover is provided it will help to guard the reinforcement and its direct contact with water is minimised.

Your Case :-
As you said in your case reinforcement or bars exposed even after concreting so it is dangerous case as it will severely affect the strength of member as there will not be a proper bond between concrete and steel to transfer the stresses.
Yo must tighten the supervision or else take a strict action.

Cause of Problem :-
Sometimes due the less use of needle vibrators such honeycombs (voids) are observed after deshuttering.
There might be the chances that your mix is too dry (harsh) leading to such problem.
You must also ensure the water tightness of shuttering so that the concrete slurry shall not came out leading to seggregation of aggregates.

Remedies :-
If the problem of honeycombs or voids continue even after adjusting or correcting the mix then it is desirable to pour 2 ghamelas cement sand mortar into columns just before concreting activity as suggested by one of the member here.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
It is to protect it from the environmental condition.

The thickness of cover depends on the type of exposure to which the member is subjected.

bad the exposure more cover to reinforcement is required, good the exposure less cover to reinforcement is required.

steel bars when comes in contact with air / water, their oxidization happens and the dia of bar reduces. it also affect the bonding between concrete and steel bars.

To protect them and increasing the life of structure cover is provided to reinforcement.

If we do not ensure correct covering to reinforcement during concreting, structure may not fail but its life will immediately get reduced.