Why today's structures has lower life span than old structures like Taj Mahal, pyramids, great Wall of China etc while today we have more technology?

according to my knowledge I am listing out some of the reasons
1.the projects mentioned by you are mainly constructed with natural resources whereas today we r constructing with artificial or manufactured materials which is generally not as equal to natural resources regarding. strength. flexibility ETC

2.in the older day structures the workers and supervisory staff work with more dedication of execution and supervision ETC whereas in modern day it is not same.

May be many more reasons. for this let me read old architecture in due course of time and revert back.not sure when I can finish studying such articles

Reactions: Mukesh Singh

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Answer is simple, its property of material.

I am fan of ancient alien series, they show all old monuments build on earth.
And they use to decode the scripts writen on those monuments, do you know why?
The history people date back everything by doing carbon dating so why they decode scripts writen on them?

Because stone is a material which cant be carbon dated.
It does not decay over time - it may have some decay due to weathering but we can not know about its original date of making.

We use steel, concrete etc this material itself have expiry and with time it becomes soil (i saw in one series that in period of 5000 years steel get decomposed in soil)

So even if human get wipe out from this earth, all our creation will merge back into soil and even if someone come from another planet, they cant find any advancement ever happen here, because nature is more powerful than anything.

Hope you would have got answer for your question.

100 year old home made with stone is stronger than 50 year old concrete structure.

Any structure which is designed by todays advance structural designer does not state life of more than 100 year. If it is so then how one can expect it to last long.

Max structure design with life span of 60 years as in this period designer and intended user may get vanish or become only senior citizens who need rest.

Reactions: Mukesh Singh
i dont think u r right in this statement sir because in old days there were only experiences that had been counted for the construction and no one thinks about the economy those days so the structure which was designed or made for 100 years were not exact for 100 years and they were overestimated and over strengthen

but nowdays we have the accuracy of estimation of the structure life i.e, for how many years we r designing the structure and how much its life goes on is almost same, we see the economy too for every structure.

Reactions: Ali-Haydar

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
i dont think u r right in this statement sir because in old days there were only experiences that had been counted for the construction and no one thinks about the economy those days so the structure which was designed or made for 100 years were not exact for 100 years and they were overestimated and over strengthen

but nowdays we have the accuracy of estimation of the structure life i.e, for how many years we r designing the structure and how much its life goes on is almost same, we see the economy too for every structure.
The precision in the work done by ancient people and the size of material used by them.
For your kind information, we are not even close to them.
Scientist and Masters are wondering, how that done by those people to whome we say they were not advance.

With technology and advancement in construction, site engineers are not able to keep columns in plumb.

The stone cutting of old age, have perfect right angle and finish in them. Todays Engineer not even able to reproduce that precision to a project with element very small compare to that old one.

Real problem is
Today people only work for money.
In Ancient time peoples had some values, ethics etc and ambition to build better and they wanted to show their creation to us.