How to check column

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
How to check column

Hi all, one of my friend on FB showed me this picture and asked me, what is the probable causes of it and how to prevent such situation.

The thing which seen in above picture is just happened due to improper supervision at execution site.

Joggling reinforcement bars in such a way is just like a criminal activity done by a civil engineer either by knowingly or unknowingly.

If you find there is no cover or very less cover to column reinforcement bars, please show it to ur structural consultant before doing any action over it.

If possible you may increase the section of column on that particular floor. I am not expert but in general joggle should be made in ratio of 1" in 2feet length ( i learnt this from the most senior persons having 35+ years experience, they also may be wrong but this they called it as safe.).

so avoid sharp joggling of bar.

To prevent such situation you must try to understand what are the possible reasons resulting to this situation.

1) no checking done by engineer or supervisor before casting.
2) checking was done before concrete but during concrete cover to reinforcement was displaced and reinforcement got moved from its location ( i dont know if you have observed or not, unskilled labours takes support of column reinforcement to lean out to the external faces and does lot of things)
3) Reinforcement bars was not checked immediately after concrete for its correct location and cover to it.

Friends once we know what is causing this problem, we are ready to eliminate this by taking timely action over it.

1) Cover to the reinforcement of column should be checked before concreting and immediately after concrete. ( if you do like this or atleast you make sure your supervisor does this without fail every time. i will assure you, you will never see such problem again )

When you cast a column also adopt this procedure of checking cover to reinforcement and check verticality of column before and immediately after concreting.
Further to this i will also like to add more to create awareness about columns.

My seniors told me once upon time about the columns.

Now we bent the stirrups hooks at 135 degree. earlier they were use to bend it at 90 degree only.

but after gujrat earthquake, from the studies they found that, all columns failed due to opening of stirrups as they are bent at 90 degree.

after that day all consultant included 135 degree bend at hook in all their designs.
Friends but still i see lot of peoples are not aware about this or they know it but doesent take any action over it. so i request all to act like a responsible engineer and if you see something is happening in wrong way, raise your voice to stop it and correcting it.

If you like it please give your comments i will be happy to here from you peoples.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
joggle should be made in ratio of 1" in 2feet length
please explain in detail

Sudden joggle bars are shifted at single level by desired distance - its wrong.

You can shift bar by joggling 1 inch in height of 2 feet.

So at start bar is at 0 and height is 0

At end of joggle bar is shifted by an inch and the height is 2 feet.

Bar is joggled tappered by inch in 2 feet indicates the lesser angle of bending.

Very nice info just try to post such practicle n technical kind of issue n how to resolved it, which may help us. I am very thankfull to u for this such a good info I get.

amd007

Elite Member
How to check column

Hi all, one of my friend on FB showed me this picture and asked me, what is the probable causes of it and how to prevent such situation.

The thing which seen in above picture is just happened due to improper supervision at execution site.

Joggling reinforcement bars in such a way is just like a criminal activity done by a civil engineer either by knowingly or unknowingly.

If you find there is no cover or very less cover to column reinforcement bars, please show it to ur structural consultant before doing any action over it.

If possible you may increase the section of column on that particular floor. I am not expert but in general joggle should be made in ratio of 1" in 2feet length ( i learnt this from the most senior persons having 35+ years experience, they also may be wrong but this they called it as safe.).

To prevent such situation you must try to understand what are the possible reasons resulting to this situation.

2) checking was done before concrete but during concrete cover to reinforcement was displaced and reinforcement got moved from its location ( i dont know if you have observed or not, unskilled labours takes support of column reinforcement to lean out to the external faces and does lot of things)
3) Reinforcement bars was not checked immediately after concrete for its correct location and cover to it.

Friends once we know what is causing this problem, we are ready to eliminate this by taking timely action over it.

1) Cover to the reinforcement of column should be checked before concreting and immediately after concrete. ( if you do like this or atleast you make sure your supervisor does this without fail every time. i will assure you, you will never see such problem again )

When you cast a column also adopt this procedure of checking cover to reinforcement and check verticality of column before and immediately after concreting.

Now we bent the stirrups hooks at 135 degree. earlier they were use to bend it at 90 degree only.

but after gujrat earthquake, from the studies they found that, all columns failed due to opening of stirrups as they are bent at 90 degree.

after that day all consultant included 135 degree bend at hook in all their designs.
Friends but still i see lot of peoples are not aware about this or they know it but doesent take any action over it. so i request all to act like a responsible engineer and if you see something is happening in wrong way, raise your voice to stop it and correcting it.

If you like it please give your comments i will be happy to here from you peoples.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU DYNAN,

Its definitely a criminal offense as far as Conscience of a civil engineer is concerned. In India, we have a tendency of being careless towards the works which we execute when we work for someone. ( Now in a similar situation if the engineer or supervisor who is working there and is going to occupy the premises after it is built will he be careless and ignorant to such practices or will he be vigilant and go about the careful and correct execution of his work)

The day this attitude will change India will progress UNBELIEVABLY.

FIRST of all joggling of the reinforcement should be done within the beam and column junction and not in the column junction.

SECONDLY, the slope of the bars shall not exceed 1 in 6 (Ref.: Clause 26.5.3.3 of IS 456 : 2000), and it should not be a sharp kink.

THIRDLY Additional stirrups/links are to be provided to resist the outward transverse forces generated due to the bend of the bars, and this is a matter of design and detailing that is to be dealt by the design office and shown in the reinforcement detail drawing. ( STRUCTURAL CONSULTANT should be consulted in such cases rather than SELF PRESCRIPTION which could prove dangerous for the structure)

Maybe he will advice STRUCTURAL STRENGTHENING wherever required as per his DESIGN ANALYSIS.

TO AVOID SUCH SITUATIONS WE CAN ADOPT FOLLOWING PRACTICE:

1. Instead of checking center line of the columns after the slab is cast why not check it before casting.

2. Use the master ring to tie the column reinforcement at slab level and then check the center line based on the master ring. If there is a major deflection of the column bars then the same could be referred to the consultant for his guidance and suggestions.

3. In case of any irregularities don't hide it but bring it to the notice of the consultant as it's our moral responsibilities as CIVIL ENGINEERS so that the irregularities can be attended in a CORRECT MANNER. This will prevent failure of structure in the FUTURE which could prove fatal to people occupying such structures built carelessly.

4. MAINTAIN the cover to reinforcement which is critical as adequate cover will save the reinforcement from corrosion and likely failure of reinforcement bars in case of fires etc.

5.The degree of bend of 135 is now mandatory given by consultants which has to be adopted by all CIVIL ENGINEERS, there will be resistance from the fitters but once compulsorily enforced then it becomes easy. The degree of bend can be achieved after placing the stirrups in the beam or column as its difficult if we do it before placing as bars get stuck in the 135 degree bend. The bending tool used by the fitters can easily achieve this on site as mostly the dia of bars used for stirrups range from 8mm to 12mm max.

My views are not meant to hurt sentiments of CIVIL ENGINEERS who are doing a good job but to point out to those who are doing a bad job.

How to check column

Super sir tnq fr gvg ths gd infmtn

How to check column

Thank you very much. Acfew days ago I had a similar challenge on dite

Reactions: Mula Akhil
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU DYNAN,

Its definitely a criminal offense as far as Conscience of a civil engineer is concerned. In India, we have a tendency of being careless towards the works which we execute when we work for someone. ( Now in a similar situation if the engineer or supervisor who is working there and is going to occupy the premises after it is built will he be careless and ignorant to such practices or will he be vigilant and go about the careful and correct execution of his work)

The day this attitude will change India will progress UNBELIEVABLY.

FIRST of all joggling of the reinforcement should be done within the beam and column junction and not in the column junction.

SECONDLY, the slope of the bars shall not exceed 1 in 6 (Ref.: Clause 26.5.3.3 of IS 456 : 2000), and it should not be a sharp kink.

THIRDLY Additional stirrups/links are to be provided to resist the outward transverse forces generated due to the bend of the bars, and this is a matter of design and detailing that is to be dealt by the design office and shown in the reinforcement detail drawing. ( STRUCTURAL CONSULTANT should be consulted in such cases rather than SELF PRESCRIPTION which could prove dangerous for the structure)

Maybe he will advice STRUCTURAL STRENGTHENING wherever required as per his DESIGN ANALYSIS.

TO AVOID SUCH SITUATIONS WE CAN ADOPT FOLLOWING PRACTICE:

1. Instead of checking center line of the columns after the slab is cast why not check it before casting.

2. Use the master ring to tie the column reinforcement at slab level and then check the center line based on the master ring. If there is a major deflection of the column bars then the same could be referred to the consultant for his guidance and suggestions.

3. In case of any irregularities don't hide it but bring it to the notice of the consultant as it's our moral responsibilities as CIVIL ENGINEERS so that the irregularities can be attended in a CORRECT MANNER. This will prevent failure of structure in the FUTURE which could prove fatal to people occupying such structures built carelessly.

4. MAINTAIN the cover to reinforcement which is critical as adequate cover will save the reinforcement from corrosion and likely failure of reinforcement bars in case of fires etc.

5.The degree of bend of 135 is now mandatory given by consultants which has to be adopted by all CIVIL ENGINEERS, there will be resistance from the fitters but once compulsorily enforced then it becomes easy. The degree of bend can be achieved after placing the stirrups in the beam or column as its difficult if we do it before placing as bars get stuck in the 135 degree bend. The bending tool used by the fitters can easily achieve this on site as mostly the dia of bars used for stirrups range from 8mm to 12mm max.

My views are not meant to hurt sentiments of CIVIL ENGINEERS who are doing a good job but to point out to those who are doing a bad job.

Aap dono ne hi badiya bataya ki kya karna chahiye es ko avoid krne ke liye.