Lab Test for Determination of Bulk Density of Sand

Lab Test for Determination of Bulk Density of Sand for Field Dry Density Determination

OBJECTIVE:
to determine the weight of sand in cone and the bulk density of sand (gm/cc) that is being used in the determination of field dry density.

APPARATUS:
sand pouring cylinder of required diameter (i.e. 100mm or 200mm), cylindrical calibrating container of required diameter (i.e. 100mm or 200mm), clean, dry and uniform graded natural sand passing 1mm and retained on 600 microns.

PROCEDURE:
1. Fill the pouring cylinder with sand within 10mm from the top of cylinder by ensuring the shutter is closed while filling.
2. Record the initial total weight of the sand taken for calibration which requires to be maintained constant throughout the tests of field determination of dry density of sand replacement method.
3. Place the cylindrical calibrating container on a large tray and over it place the sand filled cylinder carefully.
4. Open the shutter of the sand pouring cylinder and allow the sand to run out freely.
5. When there is no further movement of the sand takes place close the shutter, and remove the sand pouring cylinder carefully.
6. The sand that has filled in the cone of the pouring cylinder i.e. the sand left over the plane surface shall be collected and weighed to the nearest 1 gm.
7. The above steps shall be represented thrice and mean shall be noted.
8. The internal volume of the calibrating container shall be attained by weight of water contained in container filled up to its brim.

The bulk density of sand(gm/cc) = weight of the sand that filled the calibrating container / volume of the container determined by filling the calibrating cylinder by water.