Top bar reinforcements are to be cut from existing ground beam in hangar.

Hello everyone I am new to this site. I was hoping to get some answers on this new project I am working on as a trainee engineer.

CONTEXT
The works include cutting new 100 mm deep rainwater channels across the floor, to drain rainwater from hangar rails to main discharge channel 5 meters away. In between, a ground beam runs along the rail and main discharge channel and the top bars need to be cut to allow new rainwater channel. The top bars are 25 mm in diameter.

PROBLEM
The main engineer has given a go to cut the top bars but the supervising engineers are disagreeing. I would like to hear your opinions on such matter. Is it fine to cut the top bars or not; please give me some explanations. Thank you very much for your patience in answering my post.

Best Regards.

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Drain do required a slope, so making 100mm gutter wont work.

In any case we should never cut the reinforcement steel bars.

Depth of the gutter / drain may not be a constant if your ground floor is casted in level.

You should provide a slope of atleast 1:200, f its covered.

you can increase the depth of gutter near beam and make a core in beam below reinforcement bar (after taking approval from structural consultant).

it would be better if you provide more details like cross section of floor.

you can also make collection chamber near beam which takes intake from both side and then connects to main chamber via underground pipe, if floor is not yet constructed.

Reactions: Mukesh Singh