UG tank excavation process in wet land ?

Can anyone suggest me the best and safest way to excavate earth for placing UG RCC tank(precast) having a depth of 6 mtr, (16x10 mtrs) on wet land ? I have prepared a plan with 35 deg cut and 45 deg cut for the stability and safety in which lot of extra excavation to be done. Is anything else we can go which would be cost as well as time effective ?

Jayant Joshi

Dear
please reconfirm the dimension is 16 m X 10 m X 6 m deep
The tank is RCC precast
And you are going to place it under ground in wet land.

Last year we have constructed UG RCC tank of size 30 m X 20 m X 6 m

Raft thickness is 1.0 m at around wall and 500 mm thick at center portion

Wall thickness is 900 mm at bottom and 300 mm at top

Design criteria is tank is empty and only outer load is active.

Dear
please reconfirm the dimension is 16 m X 10 m X 6 m deep
The tank is RCC precast
And you are going to place it under ground in wet land.

Last year we have constructed UG RCC tank of size 30 m X 20 m X 6 m

Raft thickness is 1.0 m at around wall and 500 mm thick at center portion

Wall thickness is 900 mm at bottom and 300 mm at top

Design criteria is tank is empty and only outer load is active.
The size is as you said and its a precast one. With help of boom crane (80 MT) we will place it in the position. For us vital is its safe excavation. What surface preparation with dewatering ,pumping and sheeting we can do while excavating ??

Dnyan Deshmukh

Staff member
Hopefully by now you may have finalised and even executed the work.

For doing safe excavation, sheeting or piling around the plot is good option along with keeping continuous de-watering.
I do not have much experience in such work nor have any idea about soil properties you are dealing with in that wet area, so cant comment on anything much.

If you had made strategy for it and done the work, request you to share with others by creating new post in Site Engineering & Execution

Add some details and photographs so that it will help others to get knowledge of such activity.

Reactions: shantunu